Ministry Of Defence
Various projects

RAF Lakenheath
Shopping mall

Architecture

Ministry Of Defence

Client:
Ministry Of Defence
Contractor:
Mowlem
Value:
£2.0m

We were commissioned to design a new retail outlet with petrol station and restaurant on a site directly adjacent to the base boundary to Brandon Road. This development consisted of the design and construction of a new 2800 ft2 food retail outlet, with ancillary serviced areas together with a 900 ft2 food retail outlet directly adjacent.

The new structures complied with the base standards with regard to external brick and tile finishes, and also incorporated the relevant blast protection measures in force at the time. Next to the main building, we constructed a new petrol filling station with a full canopy covering all 24 car pumps. To the rear of the main building is a large surface storage area which also housed the sprinkler tank installation. New car parking areas were provided to accommodate 98 spaces and a drive through lane was also constructed to serve the food outlet.

The success of the completed project led to Mowlem / Carillion and Vincent and Gorbing securing further work on the American Air base.

RAF Wattisham
Helicopter hanger

Architecture

Ministry Of Defence

Client:
Ministry Of Defence
Contractor:
Miller Construction
Value:
£14.0m

This important project provided a central servicing facility for the army helicopter fleet, which had previously been located on several sites, including mainland Europe.

The building has three main elements for maintenance hangars, parts stores and offices all combined into one major structure of some 28,000m2. The maintenance hangar and workshops are planned in a clear wide span steel structure with full length heavy cranage and large automatic hangar doors to the airfield aprons.

The parts storage is located in an adjoining area of similar size and construction with independent servicing. The offices are located at one end of the main structure on three floors with direct access to the workshops and stores. The office element also contains welfare and toilet facilities for the staff. The entire complex is clad in colour coated steel sheeting with aluminium windows and rooflights to the main workshop and stores areas.

The building forms part of a major development on the site to accommodate the regiments relocated from elsewhere in Europe and was officially opened by His Royal Highness, The Duke of Edinburgh.

RAF Mildenhall
Wing Commander’s offices

Architecture

Ministry Of Defence

Client:
Ministry Of Defence
Contractor:
Mowlem
Value:
£3.5m

This project was a high quality refurbishment of the Wing Commander’s offices including re-modelling and extension. All existing fixtures, finishes and services were stripped out and replaced. Extensive oak timber panelling was provided in many areas as well as oak framed glazed doors and screens, incorporating etched glazing with motifs. All finishes were traditional in nature as the building stands on the Mildenhall Camp historic trail.

A large briefing room houses a raised platform and fixed seating, to maximise views of the briefing table, lectern and screen.

The completed project was recognised as a quality piece of architecture which met all of the client requirements.

RAF Marham
Primary healthcare centre

Architecture

Ministry Of Defence

Client:
Ministry Of Defence
Contractor:
Morgan Sindall
Value:
£12.0m

Following extensive consultation with the key officers, associated with the main medical departments, the principles for this development were to provide a design which accommodates the medical centre, primary care rehabilitation facility, dental centre and a community mental health department.

The three-storey rectangular building occupies 30% of the existing open recreational space, leaving 70% for future recreational and development opportunities.

The architectural concept for this primary healthcare building provides a simple, efficient building form which responds to the physical site constraints and respects the existing environmental and ecological context. It incorporates proven sustainability measures, wherever technically and economically feasible. The design and specification of the building construction and associated services should achieve an ‘Excellent’ BREEAM rating.